Alert from Trading Standards
Beware of bogus Council officials.
Trading Standards have been advised that businesses in the borough are being cold called by bogus Royal Greenwich Council staff claiming to work in the ‘repairs section’ wanting to discuss Health and Safety and changing businesses utilities meters free of charge.
The call came from a male called Michael calling off the following mobile phone number 07538 792750.
When pressed for more detail by a local business owner who was suspicious, Michael ended the call. The business owner has since been unable to verify these details with any council employee or team.
Royal Greenwich Council:
- Will not call from a mobile phone number.
- Are not conducting Health and Safety checks or changing utilities for businesses.
- Would always have an extension number to give you.
- Will always allow you to confirm their identity by calling the Greenwich Council switchboard.
If you receive this phone call, anything similar you suspect to be a scam or a visit in person:
- Report the incident to Royal Greenwich Trading Standards on the number below as soon as possible.
- Confirm the identity of the individual you are speaking with by calling Royal Greenwich switchboard on 020 8854 8888. Get the extension for them and ask to call them back if you have concerns.
- Check I.D. and if unsure call the switchboard, the number will always be on the back of the I.D.